Mother Wants To End Cinnamon Challenge After Death of Her Son

Avatar:
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
cinnamon

Even though internet challenges such as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and now the popular Cinnamon Challenge seem like a lot fun through the eyes of the average viewer, some can have fatal consequences that made these comical videos not so comical.

A Kentucky mother by the name of Brianna Radar is on a mission to end these challenges after her son lost his life because of a cinnamon related asphyxia.

Radar's 4-year-old son, Matthew, choked to death after swallowing almost an entire container of cinnamon. This caused the young child's body to seize after he inhaled so much of the spice that he couldn't breathe according to WLEX/WFSB.

"He was completely healthy -- no problems," Says Radar to the station. "He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed." Matthew was rushed to the hospital where he was announced dead an hour later.

Faculty at the hospital state that it's not uncommon to asphyxiate from the inhalation of cinnamon powder. The powder can enter the lungs and obstruct the flow of oxygen. Radar is dedicated to endng this trend of idiocy and stupidity.

The Cinnamon Challenge, among other challenges, has been the most popular one. According to Medical Daily, there are between 40,000 and 209,000 videos exist. There have been other warnings acknowledging the harm that these online challenges can bring.

Hopefully, Matthew's death will be a wake up call to others out there who continue to engage in these senseless behaviors.