Ohio Cop Refuses to Resort to Deadly Force: "I Wanted To Be Absolutely Sure"

Publish date:
Social count:

Rookie Ohio police officer, Jesse Kidder was in a life or death situation on Thursday night.

The suspect rushes toward him shouting, "Shoot me, shoot me!"

"Back up!" screams Kidder, holding his gun out. The man finally crumples to the ground just feet away from the officer in the video taken in the Cincinnati suburb of Elsmere, Kentucky.

"Law enforcement officers all across the nation have to deal with split-second decisions that mean life or death. I wanted to be absolutely sure before I used deadly force," said Kidder. via WLWT5 news.


Body Cam footage of Kidder subduing Wilcox, 27.

Kidder is being praised by his police chief and others for "great restraint and maturity" after he was able to safely subdue and arrest a double murder suspect that charged at him during the stop. The rookie Ohio cop did two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine and he's a Purple Heart recipient, but has only been on the New Richmond Police Force for a year. Kidder started wearing the body camera a relative gave to him shortly after the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson.

Investigators say Michael Wilcox, 27, killed his fiancee in their Brown County, Ohio, home, then killed his best friend in Elsmere, reported NBC affiliate WLWT in Cincinnati, which first obtained the body-camera video. A Brown County investigator spotted Wilcox Thursday night at about 8 p.m. and attempted to stop him, but Wilcox claimed he had a gun and drove away, officials said. via NBCnews.com

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhJKyK6VqDI&w=560&h=315]

In the video you see Wilcox charging at Kidder, but Kidder just yells " 'I don't want to shoot you, get on the ground,' but he wasn't having it. He kept repeating, 'Shoot me.' At one point, he said 'Shoot me or I'll shoot you,'" Kidder said. via WLWT5news

During the standoff, Wilcox reaches and puts his right hand in his pocket. Kidder was able to restrain from using any deadly weapon weapon during that time.

The whole standoff lasted a minute. During that time Kidder was able to wait for backup and Wilcox was apprehended.