With the rap changing so frequently, it's hard to mount a place of relevance within the hiphop community. Over the past decade some of the most glorified summer anthems have been from one hit wonders, who we'll never hear from again. The constant evolution of rap makes it hard to identify the true nature of today's emcees. However, we have came across some genuine artist that go above and beyond to represent their community. T.I., has continued to be the necessary light throughout the urban community when we needed a voice. Here are the top five reasons T.I. lives up to being a urban legend.
1. Top Emcee: Straight out the gate, Tip has always made it known that he was the "King Of The South". It was never a time in which we doubted that claim given his long and impressive resume within hiphop. Through his illustrious career, the Atlanta native has been consistent in providing quality music that's still very much relevant. His knack for story telling, has always been one of his most valued skills in the rap game. T.I. has manged to survive in the music industry for over a decade, and have worked with greats from Jay-Z, Kanye, Nelly, Lil Wayne, and Scarface. Earning high and prestigious awards show that T.I. is more than capable of remaining elite in the music game.
2. Never been a punk: The rap game has turned into an all out assault for most hip hop fans. With the music from the late 90's to the millennium, fighting, shoot outs, and drugs, are all commonly mentioned in rap. Even though most popular rappers mention these type of activities, some are not even close to ever have living the lifestyle. But when it comes to Tip, we have more than plenty enough examples to show that Tip has. On several occasions we got to witness T.I. voice his opinions, and even put hands on disrespectful people. Mr. Harris has went at it with elite emcee's such as Ludacris, Lil Flip, Gucci Mane, and plenty more. He even went toe to toe with the former undefeated Welterweight Champion "Floyd Mayweather". One thing is for certain, that you'll need to speak cautiously when dealing with Tip on any level.
3. Putting his family on: Many rappers leave little to no trace of their real life outside of the booth. Luckily we have Tip, who has become one of the most transparent rappers in the game. After making millions from album sales, Tip went on to host a show on MTV called "The Family Hustle". The sitcom that gives an in-depth look into the rapper's life, introduce his entire family as a whole. Giving us instant prospective into who T.I. is as a Father, Son, and husband. With just this move alone, T.I. puts each of his family members on to be exposed on a grand platform. This is something rarely seen in today's music industry. Tip shows that it's cool to be a rapper, but that your number one priority is to take care of your family.
4. Ruthless On The Big Screen: Being a rap artist has it's limit in regards to stardom. But T.I. has shown that he is more than capable to be effective even in the movie industry. His first big screen debut came with being the leading role for the legendary movie "ATL". With a cast of C-list actors outside of Lauryn London, Tip was more than able to make the movie a commercial success. With rumors still circulating, everyone is still waiting the announcement of a possible sequel coming into play.
After the success of "ATL" in 2006, Tip returned to the big screen playing a supporting role in the 2007 unforgettable movie "American Gangsta". The talented line up of actors included: Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Idris Elba, and many more. The movie obtained phenomenal success on all levels, making it an instant classic for years to come. Since then T.I., has went on to find more success in the movie industry with his co-leading role in 2010's Takers, and has continued to add to his acting resume.
5. Community Ties: From earlier on in his career to now, T.I. has never had a problem voicing his views to the public. T.I. has evolved from just a rapper to a community activist, and overall voice for urban communities across the globe. He has been in everything from black lives matter protest, to encouraging minorities vote for the 2016 Presidential election. In so many ways Tip continues to remind everyone that despite your past, you are more than able to make a change in the community. He leads by example and continues to thrive in the music industry. With the opening of his restaurant year in Atlanta over a year ago, Tip was able to hire and provide jobs for people in the local community. T.I. has, and continues to do more than enough that will ensure that he's remembered as a legend long after he's gone. We salute a true Urban Legend!!